CBD is a non-psychoactive ingredient that is known for producing several therapeutic effects. CBD oil is a blend of Cannabidiol extracts derived from the Cannabis plant and other carrier oils like hemp seed oil. Research has established that CBD oil is beneficial for both humans and animals.
CBD oil induces a mild stimulating effect that energizes your pets and lets them follow a healthy exercise regime. It helps relieve symptoms associated with osteoarthritis. The compound has excellent pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
It can also help regulate blood pressure, relieve muscle spasms and even help alleviate asthma. Studies also indicate that CBD oil can help cope with anxiety and depression. This article will explore whether CBD for pets is an effective remedy for anxiety.
Does CBD Oil Help Treat Anxiety in Pets?
Yes, according to some scientific studies conducted in the past few years, it has been that it can be an effective remedy for relieving anxiety in pets. Before we understand how CBD oil helps reduce anxiety, let us know the different types of anxiety your fur buddies suffer from.
Anxiety in pets is not an uncommon thing. Though it is normal to feel anxious once in a while, it can lead to severe health conditions if frequent bouts of anxiety are left unchecked. Anxiety in pets can arise due to several factors like fear, separation, and aging.
1. Separation Anxiety: About 14% of pet dogs suffer from separation anxiety when left alone or away from their family members. Destructive behavior, frequent urination, and defecation in the house are common symptoms of Separation Anxiety.
2. Fear-related Anxiety: This type of anxiety arises from various audio or visual stimuli. Usually, pets get anxious when hearing loud noises such as firecrackers or construction work. They may also feel anxious when they see or come near strange humans or animals. A new environment, visits to the vet’s office, and car rides can make them anxious.
3. Age-related Anxiety: With advancing age, pets may suffer from Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. Memory, perception, and awareness decline in older dogs. The symptoms are very similar to that of Alzheimer’s disease in humans. It often leads to confusion and anxiety in older pets.
How Does CBD Oil Help Relieve Anxiety in Pets?
To understand how it acts on your pet’s body to reduce anxiety, we have to understand the Endocannabinoid system or the ECS, a complex biological system present in all mammalian bodies.
The ECS comprises various receptors and neurotransmitters embedded in different body organs, which make up an intricate cell-signaling system. When ingested, it interacts with the Endocannabinoid receptors present in your pet’s nervous system and imparts a calming effect. This effect can help treat anxiety rising from fear and separation.
CBD is non-intoxicating and does not induce the feeling of “high.” However, it does produce a mild relaxing effect which can soothe irritability and confusion that is common in older pets. It also acts as a mild stimulant and allows your fur babies to live their life with vigor.
Pet parents who have used CBD oil as a dietary supplement have stated that it has helped their pets settle down in new environments with ease. It has also enabled the pets to stay calm when surrounded by loud noises or when the owner is out of sight.
How To Understand Whether Your Pet Has Anxiety?
Like humans, our beloved pets can also suffer from bouts of anxiety. But lack of verbal communication can make it challenging for pet parents to understand that their furry friends are going through a tough time.
Experts recommend that pet owners keep an eye for some symptoms to understand whether your pet is getting anxious. Here are some signs specified by animal behaviorists that will help you recognize anxiety in your pets:
- Barking or howling when the owner is out of sight
- Panting and pacing
- Cowering in the corner
- Destroying furniture
- Excessive licking or chewing
- Decreased Appetite
- Frequent urination
- Inability to settle.
What Are The Other Benefits Of CBD Oil?
Besides being an effective anxiolytic agent, it also has a few other benefits:
- It can help relieve joint pains and inflammation associated with arthritis. It also helps relieve sore muscles.
- It helps boost cardiac health and helps regulate your pet’s blood pressure.
- CBD oil may help treat skin rashes and allergies. It also improves the health of their fur and coat.
- It can be beneficial for pets who have undergone surgery. It can also help relieve pain and discomfort associated with cancer.
- CBD oil can also help in treating digestive disorders.
- It is also effective for treating symptoms of Epilepsy.
Does CBD Oil Have Any Side Effects?
Research regarding the benefits and side effects of it is still ongoing. No scientific data is available which can indicate the adverse effects of CBD oil on the health of your canines. However, some anecdotal evidence suggests that consuming it can cause side effects like:
1. Dry Mouth: Ingesting oil can decrease salivary secretion that may lead to dry mouth or xerostomia in animals, characterized by increased thirst.
2. Lowered Blood Pressure: High dose of CBD oil might lower your pet’s blood pressure which might cause dizziness.
3. Drowsiness: When taken in a high dose, oil has sedative properties that might cause drowsiness in your pets.
4. Change In Appetite: You may either notice an increase in your pet’s appetite or a decreased urge to eat.
5. Change In Mood: CBD oil usually helps uplift mood and induce a sense of wellbeing. But sometimes, ingesting Oil can cause mood changes. Your pet may show signs of irritability and sulkiness. It may also cause nausea and vomiting.
These side effects usually disappear when you discontinue giving CBD oil to your pet. But, if the symptoms persist, make sure you consult your vet.
The Bottom Line:
Over the years, CBD supplements have proven to be an excellent therapeutic ingredient for pets. One of its most important effects is its ability to relieve anxiety and depressive behavior. If you feel your pet is struggling to cope with anxiety, you should consult your vet to see if it is safe to incorporate oil into your pet’s diet. For more information, you can visit cbd news.
But, as the cannabinoid industry lacks proper quality control measures, it is not uncommon for its supplements to be laced with toxins that might lead to several health issues in your pet. Thus, we recommend that pet parents buy CBD oil from reputable vendors.
Leave a Reply