Choosing the Right Bed for Small Dogs
Choosing the perfect bed for your dog can make you feel a bit like Goldilocks. This one is too big! This one is too small! But how can you find the bed that is just right for your pup? Small dog breeds can be especially picky about their bed, and with good reason!
Your small dog likely wants a cozy bed that will make him feel safe and secure when he goes to sleep. If a bed is too large, your tiny pup may feel vulnerable, which will make it hard for him to get good sleep. Read on for helpful tips to find the bed that is just right for your small dog.
Compare Popular Small Dog Beds
|Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed||Check Latest Price||Small: 22×16||Memory |
|Shark-Shaped Pet Cave Bed||Check Latest Price||One Size: 16.5x 16.5 x15.5||Superfine |
|Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler||Check Latest Price||Standard: 20x20x12||Flexible |
|Bottom is |
|Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Bed||Check Latest Price||Small: 25x8x4||Microsuede|
|PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge||Check Latest Price||Small: 25×20||Polyester & Cotton||Removable|
|Blueberry Pet Premium Microsuede Bed||Check Latest Price||Small: 25x21x 10||Microsuede exterior, |
|Removable and |
The 6 Best Beds for Small Dogs
1. Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
- 100% Waterproof encasement beneath the fabric cover protects bed against accidents and fluids 4 inch thick bed features 2 inches of comfort memory foam and 2 inches of high-density support foam
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia Super soft, zippered velour cover resists dirt and hair and is easily removeable and machine washable
- Naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, plus 3-year warranty – Small size: 22″ x 16″ x 4″; Ideal for dogs under 25 lbs
The Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed features a 4-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam filling to relieve your small dog’s joint and pressure point pain.
The soft, yet supportive memory foam conforms to your dog’s shape and gives your pup exceptional comfort. The cover has a zipper so you can remove and wash it easily.
This bed comes with a breathable, waterproof layer underneath the cover to protect the memory foam from accidents and spills without altering the comfort of the bed. This bed is also equipped with a skid-proof bottom that will keep it in place.
- Lightweight and easy to stow in your car
- Fits in 24×18 dog crates
- Removable cover is made of soft, microsuede that is machine washable
- Multiple sizes available
The cover has a zipper for easy removal. Machine wash on cold to hot on gentle and tumble dry low for best results.
2. Grey Shark Bed for Small Dogs
Shark-Shaped Pet Cave Bed
- Ideal for dogs cats kittens puppies weighing under 15lbs
- This pet bed can be used as a cozy covered cave to hideaway or folded into a lovely pet sofa, your pet can sleep on the soft inner mat directly for maximum comfort
- Prevents the bed from shifting and moving when your pet steps on or off, even on hardwood floors
The Shark-Shaped Pet Cave Bed is a fun alternative to the standard dog bed, it looks like your pup is curled up to sleep inside the jaws of the shark. The outer material is made from superfine fiber, oxford, cloth.
If you have a very small dog, this cave design may be the right fit for your little pup. He may look like he is in the mouth of a great white shark, but he will feel safe and secure hiding in his cozy cave.
- Self-warming to keep your little dog nice and toasty
- “Damp proof” and non-slip
- Thick PP cotton filling for extra comfort
- Washable inner pillow
This bed is ideal for very small, or toy dogs (up to 8 pounds) to give them enough space to be comfortable.
3. Best Friends by Sheri OthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler
Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler
- From cuddling to sprawling, our luxury dog beds are flexible enough to accommodate any sleeping position!
- Quick and easy to clean, pet owners will love that our dog mattresses feature a WATERPROOF bottom!
- Made with only pet-safe materials, you’ll rest assured knowing our puppy beds are completely non-toxic! Stuffed with virgin AirLOFT fibers
The Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler features a deep sleeping area equipped with a high back wall (12 inches) for extra weight support and lower front edges (9 inches) creating a cozy little pocket that is great for those dogs that like to cuddle and curl up into a ball to go to sleep.
The walls of this bed are generously filled to wrap around your pup, giving him a sense of security and an extra layer of comfort when he is sleeping. The lower, carved front and the sidewalls make it easy for your little guy to rest his head.
The therapeutic sherpa fabric is designed to have the feel of a mother’s fur, giving your pup the opportunity for a deeper, more restful sleep. The Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler was designed for a variety of sleeping positions. It can be spread open or folded for a customizable bed.
This bed has deep crevices between the walls and the bottom cushion, so your little pup can burrow in. The Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler is ideal for dogs up to 25 pounds.
- Self-warming Sherpa fabric to relieve joint pain
- The bottom is machine washable and waterproof
- Secure sleeping area to calm nervous dogs
- High back and lower legs for support
You can quickly clean this bed with a vacuum on busy days or machine wash it on the gentle cycle and tumble dry low for best results. The Deep Dish Cuddler is ideal for small dogs between 10-20 pounds.
It can accommodate pups up to 25 pounds if your dog is one that enjoys curling up tightly. Dogs smaller than 10 pounds can comfortably enjoy this bed as well, but it is not recommended for dogs smaller than 10 pounds if they suffer from arthritis.
4. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Bed
Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Bed
- Sherpa lining for warmth in winter and cool in summer Removable washable/dryable cover
- Luxury microsuede cover Heavy duty rust proof brass zipper
- Zippered liner
The Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Bed features a warm fleece lining and a microsuede cover. If you are the pet parent of a small, nervous pup, this bed may be the best fit because it is great for pups that like to burrow and stay under the covers. Certain dogs breeds, such as terriers and dachshunds, like to wrap themselves up in their beds for extra security.
The removable cover is machine washable for busy pet owners who do not have the time to hand wash their dog’s bedding. The sherpa interior is designed to keep your small pup warm during the cold winter months.
- Microsuede cover is removable and washable
- Sherpa fleece lining for winter warmth and summer cooling
- Over 30 different colors to choose from
- 4 sizes to fit a variety of dogs
Remove the concealed plastic rod (used to keep the hood of the bed raised) through the small opening at the mouth of the hood and remove the filling from the base using the covered zipper on the back of the bed before washing. You can then throw the rest of the bed into the washing machine!
5. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge
PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge
- MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, & energy
- Bolsters’ pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base & zip closed
- EXCLUSIVE COUPON CODE FOR ROVER () nationwide Dog Boarding, Dog Daycare, Dog walking, Dog sitting services
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge features a solid memory foam base (4 inches thick) that may provide your older pup with extra comfort and help to relieve his arthritis and joint pain. T
his bed is equipped with a generously filled outer bolster pillow to give your pup support and a sense of security. The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge bed is ideal for small dogs, but is rated to handle pups up to 50 pounds.
- Waterproof inner liner
- Removable cover is machine washable
- Non-skid base
- 4 Inch Memory Foam
To remove the cover for washing, look for 2 zippers. There will be one to remove the foam and another one to remove the bolster.
6. Blueberry Pet Premium Microsuede Bed
Blueberry Pet Premium Microsuede Bed
- Designed like a sofa, this lounge bed provide a soft and cozy place for your pet to rest and relax
- Made of thick microsuede fabric, scratching-resistant. Filled with 100% Recyclable eco-friendly micro fiber. Ideal blend of comfort and durability
- Comes with the lovely neck bone pillow in champagne beige. Squeaker embedded in the pillow will entice your pup to play and have fun
The Blueberry Pet Premium Microsuede Bed is overstuffed to give your small dog extra cushioning. The fiber batting inside the bolsters are stitched into the pad so they won’t shift around. This bed comes with a removable, washable cover and an extra squeak pillow.
- Comes with a heavy-duty microfiber cover
- Overstuffed bolstered sides for back and neck support
- Removable and machine washable cover and microsuede lining
- Available in a variety of different colors
Wash the removable cover on the gentle cycle with mild detergent. Don’t use bleach. You can tumble dry on low, or for best results, hang to dry.
Shopping Guide for the Best Bed for Small Dogs
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a bed for your dog. When you are shopping for his bed, keep in mind your pup’s sleep style and preferences to help you choose the right bed for him.
In addition to your dog’s individual needs, the following guidelines may help pet parents of small dogs find the bed that will be the best fit for your furry friend.
How Big or Small of a Bed is Best?
For your small dog, look for a bed that will make him feel safe. Your little pup will likely get much more restful sleep if you give him a cozy bed that has bolsters or raised sides so he feels secure. If you have a small dog, he might not feel safe in an oversized bed made for larger dogs.
The size of the dog bed you choose is one of the most important factors in creating a comfortable place for your small pup to rest. The size of the bed will ultimately need to fit your dog’s individual sleep habits. Does your dog like to spread out or curl up when he sleeps? Does he like to sleep on top or burrow in? Your pup’s sleeping preferences will be important factors in picking a bed that he will love.
How does Temperature Affect Your Pup?
You may want to change out your dog’s bed seasonally. Your dog may need a warm, cozy bed during the winter, and a cooler bed during the summer. The temperature of the bed is especially important for small dogs because they are likely to get cold easier than their larger counterparts and may not retain heat as well.
Of course, this does depend on your dog’s breed and build. Short, stocky dogs retain heat better than thin, leaner pups. If you are looking to keep your pup nice and toasty in the winter, you will want to find a bed that has warm fabric and is constructed to keep the heat in.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a cooling bed for hot weather, you will need to look for a bed that wicks heat away and gives your pup plenty of airflow. Read our other article, for more on cooling beds for hot weather.
What Comfort Level Does Your Pup Enjoy?
Look for a soft bed that is not too firm for your small pup. This is especially important if you have a small dog that does not have a lot of fur or body fat to give him cushioning. A lot of small dogs find it very uncomfortable to sleep on the floor or other hard surfaces. Your small pup may sleep a lot better in a plush, cozy bed.
What’s Inside the Bed?
Dog beds are commonly filled with polyester, memory foam, or beads. Your small pup could be allergic to some fibers, making him have a reaction to his bed.
If you know your dog has allergies, or suspect he might- first have him checked by the vet, and then make sure to check the materials of all of his bedding to ensure he is not allergic to anything in his bed. Even if your dog is not allergic to any of the materials in his bed, he may still prefer a certain filling over another.
What Kind of Fabric is Used?
Dog beds come in a wide range of fabric options. When selecting your small dog’s next bed, consider what kind of habits your pup has that could be important in your decision.
For instance, you might have a pup that likes to bite and chew on his bedding. If this is the case, you might want to choose a bed with a cover that is made out of fabric that is durable enough to handle this behavior. If not, your new dog bed might not last very long.
Is the Cover Washable?
Look for a bed with a removable, washable cover. Dogs get dirty. A dog bed that cannot be washed easily is a stinky, bacteria-filled disaster waiting to happen. Spraying your dog’s bed with a fabric refresher can help sometimes, but it’s a much cleaner and healthier situation when you can take the cover off the dog bed and throw it in the wash when it starts to get smelly.
Our Closing Thoughts
Finding a dog bed your little pup is going to love is not always an easy task. Luckily, knowing a few things to look for when shopping should save you time and money! We believe all of the small dog beds we have outlined are great options, but you will need to think about your own dog’s needs and preferences to decide which one is the right fit for you.
Leave a Reply